Saturday, November 1, 2008

First Halloween

Thank you all for helping to make Jack B'hat's first Halloween successful. Jack was an adorable Tootsie Roll, though I had to convince him that wearing a costume was an OK thing to do.


I have to say that I was really looking forward to Jack's first Halloween. I dressed him in his orange pumpkin onesie and jack-o-lantern bib to go to Nanny Delaney's. I couldn't wait to pick him up after school! I had such plans - which also including picking up the house a little so that the neighbors would not be horrified by the crime scene that is my living room (I could just imagine them ringing the doorbell, "trick or ...what the hell is that? Did the earthquake do this? Shit, " and then running away so that the bug-of-chaos wouldn't bite them too.)

We got home and Jack was slightly fussy. I decided to take him for a walk. After all, we had plenty of time before Halloween actually started.. So I did. And as usual, Jack fell asleep in the stroller. When we got home, I tried to put him down for a nap, but he woke up and decided that his afternoon nap was a sham, he was mad as hell, and he wouldn't take it...anymore. Fine.
I put him in his chair a plopped him in front of the TV to watch It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown, one of my favorite movies of all time. Jack watched quite a bit of it while I set out jack-o-lanterns, picked up and made his dinner. Right before I fed him, I decided to put the tootsie roll costume on Jack.. But there was a slight problem.. The costume wouldn't fit over Jack's ginormous head. He got stuck. And that, as it would for anyone, pissed him off severely.

Luckily, I am not too proud to ruin a perfectly good costume that I bought on line and could have saved for posterity. I immediately broke out the sheers and made the neck hole bigger. Then I took the sheers to the back of the costume and cut all of the way up. Who in the hell decided that it was possible to pull (what felt like) ten yards of fabric over a baby's head is an idiot. So, I split the costume, made lacing holes, found some string, and laced that bad boy up. It worked!
I fed the baby, put him back in his costume, took him outside to show him off to the neighbors, got the candy ready for the trick-or-treators, and nearly collapsed from being so exhausted.

Jack fussed for most of that time..

Rich got home around 7:00, just as I was making myself a cocktail. He held the baby as I reheated some soup and answered the door for the neighborhood kids - not one of whom ran screaming from our house. We bathed Jack and put him to bed.

And that was his first Halloween (and mine as a momma).

9 comments:

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

I bestow upon you a title I only use on myself sparingly... MOY. Usually the declaration of MOY ends with a very loud "baby," as in "MOY, baby!" You deserve it, you scissor-weilding, lace-tying pro!

MOY: Mother of the Year

Unknown said...

The things we do to our children. I dressed poor Shane in a full bodied elephant costume for his first Halloween. He was 8 months old and was having none of that. It took awhile to convince him that being contained in a very confining outfit was a good thing. Once in we made him laugh, took pictures, and took him back out of it. He wore it for a full 20 minutes. Money well spent! Now that he is 4, we can't get him out of his batman costume. In fact he is sitting on the sofa watching Spongebob in full costume as I type this.

Deidra said...

Sounds like a lot of fun.

Amy said...

Jack sure did look cute. I am so glad he enjoyed his first Halloween. Alyce spent her first Halloween dressed as Halloween candy in the hospital. This year she got to go out and go trick or treating.

Happy Fun Pants said...

I love that you had him watch the Great Pumpkin. That is going to be one great kid because of all the great things you're teaching him. I mean, yeah sharing, giving, being nice - that's all fine. But teaching him about the Great Pumpkin? That is the IMPORTANT stuff.

Chelle said...

Cutest tootsie roll I have ever seen.

Ames said...

Ahh, The Great Pumpkin is a classic. Your never too young (or old) to enjoy that!

Kirsten Foti said...

Mmmmm....I LOVE Tootsie Rolls!

maria said...

Awesome pics! Way to improvise, adapt, and overcome.