Monday, June 23, 2008

Ick

Today we have to take Jack to get his heel pricked again for his PKU test. Can't we just run away to a country that doesn't require such tortures? Seriously. Who thought of this? He is only 12 days old!! I can't stand knowing that he will be hurt and he will scream, but I can't stand not taking him, too. I want to be there to comfort him, though I secretly believe that he will hate me for taking him, the start of a grudge list that he will mentally keep for the rest of his life. Let the mind games begin!

Honestly, though, it hurts me when he hurts and what's worse is I can't explain to him that it will be over soon. I can't take him for ice cream afterwards, and he doesn't even appreciate toys yet, so there can be no reward for being brave! . All I can offer is a shoulder to cry on and some breast milk - nothing new or special to him.

Maybe I should take myself for ice cream for braving Jack's PKU. Better yet, maybe I should steel myself with a pre-PKU glass of wine..
:(

8 comments:

Chelle said...

No doubt! I have to take Zoe for her two month check-up and SHOTS on the 2nd. God.help.me....and bring the tissues!

Deidra said...

Shots are the worst or getting blood drawn or having and IV put in oh that sucks. I actually had to leave the room for the IV. Good thing daddy was around. Poor little people why do we do this to them. Good luck

Tiffany Chen said...

Hi mrs. Haag! i see Baby Jack is very healthy!
well i was trying to e-mail you the 2 IB group pictures but it says your e-mail will not accept it.
I used the aisd e-mail.
is there another e-mail address that I can send it to you?
thanks!
tiffany chen

Ginger said...

Hi Tiffany! Try emailing the pics to greenpoyo@yahoo.com
Hopefully they will go through there. Thanks!!! :) See you in July.

rich said...

It was hard to see little Jack's blood, but I better get used to it. He is my kid so stitches probably figure prominently in his future. And we all made it through. Jack gets more upset every diaper change than he did getting his heel pricked.

Double A's Mom said...

Hi Ginger! Love the new blog! Yeah, I soaked Aaron's outfit with my tears when they had to do that heel-prick thing. The tech even asked me before she did it if I wanted to leave the room (Aaron's daddy was there too.). I should have taken the hint, I guess. Anyway, Baby Jack is so cute!

Erin said...

I've read your blog through L (the girls' moma) and wanted to say congratulations! And both my girls had to have millions (seemed to me, anyway) of heel pricks to check bili levels for their jaundice. It doesn't get any easier (sorry) but a shoulder to cry on and nursing is exactly what he needs from you. You'll get through it, even with a few tears...or many. :)

Ames said...

Ging...I know heel pricks are one thing and you want to make sure all is well with little Jack, but shots are optional. Most people think that they are manditory...they are not. Be smart and educate yourself with what you aggree to have Jack "injected" with ...we know that Tyler's shots were the cause of his Autism. Just something to think about. (...read and learn about, too) I hope all went well with the PKU. :)