Thursday, September 25, 2008

Uh Oh, It's Magic!

Thank God for easy nights.

I mean it.

Our after school schedule is pretty basic. I pick up Jack from Nanny DeLaney's around 4:00. We come home and play (talk and tummy time) and he eats around 4:30 or 5:00. Sometimes Jack takes a little nap afterwards. Sometimes he doesn't. He takes a bath between 6:30 and 7:00; we "top him off" food wise between 7 and 7:30; and he is usually in bed by 8:00. Unfortunately, most afternoons are spent relishing the time between fussy moments. Jack will be playing and smiling then, all of a sudden, he's mad!! And he doesn't cry, really. He yells. Loudly. And conversation will sound something (or exactly) like this:

"Do you think he needs to burp?"

"WHAT?"

"Or maybe he's dirty?"

"WHAT?"

"Is he tired?"

"I CAN"T HEAR YOU!!! Dammit! Baby Jack, what is it? Please, for the love of all that is holy and good.. Please, please, please stop yelling. I swear I'll be a better person. Dear God, please."

"Have you checked his diaper?"

"what.."

and so on..
Sometimes it takes 30 minutes to calm him. Sometimes he isn't calm until his eyes close.

But then there are evenings like tonight when Jack is completely wonderful and happy and playful. He was happy to take a bath. He was happy to have company. He was even happy to dirty his diaper. He went to sleep with no trouble at all.

It's nights like tonight that seem almost magical, when you feel like you're doing some things right or like you can allow yourself some confidence as a parent. My baby was happy all afternoon! And that makes me so, so happy, too.

1 comment:

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

I remember my moods being wrapped up in the baby's. It's a tough period to be in. I promise it doesn't last forever.

...although I got pretty cranky yesterday when J was cranky...

Ok, maybe it lasts longer than I think. ;)