Tuesday, July 8, 2008

I will survive! Hey, HEY!

It turns out that I stink at being a stay-at-home mom. My hat is off to those of you who choose this. You are strong, brave women!

Apparently I have the attention span of a kitten with a twisty-tie. I pounce and pounce and pounce, UNTIL something shiny crosses my path. Then it's twisty-tie be damned! I'm off to discover the meaning of light. Unless someone makes a noise or tries to tie their shoe or opens a can of any kind or the phone rings or I find a dust bunny... and so on. I do not have the ability to sit and coo at Jack for long periods of time, and though we find each other amusing for significant intervals, I find that I need to get out - away from the house. Away from him. I am currently reconciling myself to the idea that this doesn't make me a selfish person or a bad mom. I think the best thing I can do is work on my own sanity for his sake. And getting out is the only way I know to do it. Home feels like a trap to me. This is not new.

You can imagine my excitement when I was "released for all activity" today by my doctor. I said, "So, does that mean I can swim?" and she said, "yes, ALL activity is fine." Then I said, "How about riding my bike. Can I ride my bike?" And she said, "Yes." So I said, "What about..." As you can see, I handled her pronouncement like a 5 year old handles the question "Why?" Luckily for me, my doctor is a patient woman. That AND Rich eventually dragged me out of the doctor's office as I clung to the carpet, yelling, "What about Foosball? Can I play Foosball? Or hackey sack? What about hackey sack? (echoing down the hall) For the love of God, am I clear for hackey sack!?..."

The point is, I get to go and play, between nursings that is. And I am ecstatic about it. I also did a little bit of work correspondence today and that felt nice. We took Jack to meet his "child-care provider", Nanny, today and they were both very comfortable with each other. That's a load off, too. So all in all, I think we are headed down a good path.

And phew, I'm really glad I am figuring this stuff out now, before I make any life altering decisions. Thank God for summer!

6 comments:

Chelle said...

Being cleared for activity makes a HUGE difference! The house can feel like a prison at times. Glad things are coming together for you to return to teaching, which you love ALMOST as much as Jack :) Enjoy your freedom!!!

Jen said...

Yay!! I am so glad you were cleared and able to do whatever your little heart desires!! Enjoy it because before we know it we'll be back at school!! Yes, isn't Summer Great?

choral_composer said...

all activities? Does that mean you can lift up Meeples in obscure german board games?

YAY!!!!

Ginger said...

I don't know, Peter. I'll have to ask..
;)

Happy Fun Pants said...

Ginger,

I can't tell you how much I appreciate this post! Because I'm fairly confident that I will have this same feeling when/if I ever have kids.

Thank you for feeling this way and blogging about it.

I have a feeling that you will have saved me much torment later when I realize that what I will be feeling is okay.

You STILL rock.

:),
A

LBelle said...

Hey YOU ROCK! I love this post. You have figured something out already that so few women have the confidence to figure out (um, I still am not there after 5 years at home) - - that your mental state is vital to the emotional well being of your baby! Get out as much as you can to get a breath of fresh air, and it is OK to multi task while you are at home. I love your at the doctor story - so funny!