Friday, July 11, 2008

One Month

Dear Jack,

You are one month old today which means we can officially start counting your age in months instead of weeks! At this time one month ago, you were in the hospital nursery having all sorts of interviews with various doctors and nurses, while Dad vigilantly watched your celebrity status from behind a sterile glass window. It must have been quite a shock to leave that warm, albeit cramped, lodging for a place where the climate is undoubtedly cooler and the space much bigger. But you did it with ease. And you are still pretty laid back - most of the time, anyway.

In a month's time you have learned so many things, as have I! We are still trying to communicate - you mostly do the talking in a language that is foreign to me, and I try very hard to understand, communicating back with lots of hand gestures, replying in an unnecessarily loud tone. Sometimes I wish I could find an interpreter to help, after all they do have dog interpreters. But you are very patient and we manage, and I think it is fair to say that you are happy most of the time.

You have grown so much in a month! My hands used to tremble every time I touched you because you were so tiny and I was afraid I would hurt you, and now you are so snugly and cuddly that I spend a lot of time hugging you and kissing you on the forehead, or hands, or elbows! You scwunchy-face when Dad kisses you because he has bristly facial hair. Casey also tries to snuggle with you, the one he sees as the new baby kitten without fur, but you haven't noticed him yet. You have felt how soft he is.

We already talk about lots of things - everything from taking teddy-bear inventory, to whether or not you are more into Impressionism or Cubism. We sing songs - mostly what's in the CD player (right now Death Cab for Cutie), and also "Here Comes Peter Cottontail." I don't know why we sing "Peter Cottontail". It's not even close to Easter. But it's one that I like. Sometimes we sing "Hark the Herald Angels Sing," the Charlie Brown Christmas "loo loo loooo" version, but only when your mouth makes that adorable "O." On occasion we sing the Muppet's, "I'm five! I'm a big frog now I'm five!" song, though you are not five, nor are you a frog, so it feels a little awkward. I always forget about "Twinkle Twinkle, Little Star" and other popular, non-holiday baby songs. I feel guilty for not knowing more lullabies, which begs the question, should learning lullabies and nursery rhymes be a prerequisite for child bearing? Ah! I've failed you! But I figure that on the plus side, you'll probably be able to determine whether you are more of a Stones fan or a Beatles fan by the time you are five - and then we can also sing the frog song without it being a complete stretch..

Anyway.

I tell you everyday that you are wonderful and that I love you, because you are and I do, with every bone in my body! Happy one month birthday, Little One!!

Love,
Momma

No comments: