Thursday, July 3, 2008

Postpartum Psycho

So, yesterday I did something I hadn't done in 11 months. I ventured out of the house for the first time without Jack - by myself. Granted, for 10 of those months, Jack and I were one entity, so he went where I went, and towards the 10th month we went nowhere; we stayed at home mostly. (By the way, I'm not a person who views her home as a restful sanctuary; there are always chores to be done and projects to finish. I'm much more relaxed sitting in my favorite coffee shop.)

This was a momentous outing for me and I wasn't sure how I would handle it. After all, Jack and I need each other and are wholeheartedly, spiritually connected. OK, well, I am connected, as in I'd like to think that my baby needs me that much. He's pretty much attached to the milk...and if Rich could produce it, I think I'd be close to useless. The boy LOVES his daddy!

Thank God for breastfeeding!

Anyway. I knew I had a one to three hour window after feeding Jack since I hadn't started pumping yet, and I met Fougs for lunch at the Olive Garden. I got there first and sat in the bar area (!) and ordered a little glass of Lambrusco to sip on until she arrived. We had appetizers, even, and had a great time hanging out. I enjoyed laughing and chatting, and feeling free for the first time in a while.

Then Rich called.

The baby was hungry and fussy. Come home.

But it had only been an hour!

Two minutes later he called back.

Never mind. He's calm.

OK. I could finish my conversation.. Except that I couldn't focus very well. I told myself that Jack wouldn't starve if I didn't show up in the next ten minutes. But I'm horrible for making him wait! And what about poor Rich for having to deal with the crying, literally unequipped, without any tools! Bad, selfish Momma!!

We paid the check, as I feigned calmness, even though my heart was aching, the guilt pouring over me in torrents. I drove home as quickly as possible. I dropped my bag, ran to Jack, and whispered an apology in his ear for making him wait.

Not at all psychotic.

And he was fine. I needn't have worried.

But as I said, this was my first postpartum outing sans baby. I stayed gone for about an hour and a half, an hour of which felt incredibly good. After I start pumping things will be a little different, but I have a long way to go before I am comfortable leaving him for an entire day, even in the most capable hands, especially to go back to work.

7 comments:

Jen said...

This posts is so sweet!! I am glad you had sometime out with your friend!! I know that's exactly what you needed!! And even though Jack loves his daddy he LOVES/NEEDS you too!! There's something special about a Mom and her son!!

choral_composer said...

good for you in getting through that first separation!!!

Unknown said...

The first time is always the hardest, but I promise it does get easier. I was the same way with my oldest son, I couldn't leave him because no one else was equipped to take care of him the way I could :) But for sanity sakes I would try to go out without him at least once a week. I was fortunate enough to be able to stay home with him until he was 2 years old, but my poor second child was kicked to curb at 6 weeks. Fortunately for me, he was sent to his loving grandparents who have done a wonderful job of helping us raise him.

Lisa (the girls' moma) said...

Oh I remember those days. It DOES get easier. For you and for Daddy.

I love you guys!

L

Glen said...

Hey look - y'all have a BABY! Last I heard, the only Jack in your house was a cat who really didn't like to go outside!

Congrats to you both! And thanks for sharing your experiences. I'm thoroughly impressed that you're mentally able to compose full sentences and coherent thought!

Chelle said...

Glad you got out, and had fun. Take advantage of those times, for your own sanity. Going to Target, alone, is akin to a heavenly experience for me now. Then again, I do love that store anyway. But really, make sure you are taking some "me" time every now and again. Hope you all are doing well!

Ginger said...

GLEN! How the heck are ya? Yes, we reproduced. Weird, huh! I'm glad to hear from you and will come visit you at your site. I hope all is well.
Hi to Staci and the kids from us!! :)

P.S. I also have a big girl blog at de-comp.blogspot if you are interested.